November can be a challenging month in lots of ways, especially with Christmas round the corner. The sweet fest that is Halloween long forgotten and now Christmas parties with their delicious rich nibbles, mince pies and mulled wines are fast approaching, and, that's part of what make our Christmas but it’s also why it’s good to make our November’s count when it comes to our food.
Let's talk Beetroot
Not the pickled slices you may have been presented from a jar as a child, but Beetroot, the all round ingredient that is perfect in your sweet and savory dishes.Beetroot is an amazing vegetable, and I use it raw, cooked and even in cakes where possible!It has so many beneficial properties:
- Improves Energy
- May Help lower blood pressure
- Can help your body's natural detox process and is an excellent food source for those looking for a more nutritional diet.
- Excellent source of dietary fiber.
- Good source of potassiumThe list it endless!So, this wonderful, seasonal and easily sourced ingredient is worth experimenting with this November.I shared my Beetroot Pattie recipe with the ladies at my November Foxford Cookery Demo and it was a huge hit.I added some chickpea to the recipe to give a protein boost and served it with a slice of Chilli seared Halloumi, some of our Foxford Chutney and seasonal salads.
Beetroot PattieMakes 8-10Ingredients1 Red Onion2 cloves of garlic2 raw beetroot grated1 whole courgette grated2 large carrots grated100g gluten free porridge oats400g chickpea ( wash & drain well)3 tbsp tahini paste1 egg4 tbsp olive oil for cookingMethod
- Heat a flat heavy bottomed pan.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil, the diced onion and puréed garlic.
- Sweat, but do not allow to brown.
- Add the grated vegetables and continue to sweat for 10 - 15 mins until slightly soft.
- Meanwhile, blend the remainder of the ingredients to a paste in a food processor.
- Take the veg off the heat and mix with the paste in a large bowl.
- Allow to cool before shaping.
- Toss In a little gf flour or polenta, to lightly coat.
- Heat the remaining oil on a pan and seal the patties on each side allow them to heat throughout.
- Serve with a slice of Pan fried halloumi cheese, some salad ans a good dollop of chutney for a healthy lunch or dinner.
Happy cooking👩🍳 Till next time.Kathleen #chefatfoxford